How sustainable is your technology?

Inefficient energy use accounts for over ten percent of the average business’ annual expenses, and the ecological costs are even greater. Data storage, desktop pc’s, and basic office requirements of lighting, heating, and air conditioning can all add up to a significant amount of wasted energy and revenue.

Green computing or green IT, refers to environmentally sustainable computing or IT. As defined by San Murugesan, Green computing is the study and practice of designing, manufacturing, using, and disposing of computers, servers, and associated subsystems—such as monitors, printers, storage devices, and networking and communications systems—efficiently and effectively with minimal or no impact on the environment. Green IT also strives to achieve economic viability and improved system performance and use, while abiding by our social and ethical responsibilities. Thus, green IT includes the dimensions of environmental sustainability, the economics of energy efficiency, and the total cost of ownership, which includes the cost of disposal and recycling. It is the study and practice of using computing resources efficiently.

And many compaies already realize that going green saves money.

The growing use of computers and peripherals has caused a gigantic increase in energy consumption, putting negative pressure on budget and the environment. Each year more and more computers, peripherals and network equipment are purchased and put to use, but it’s not just the number of computers that is driving energy consumption upward. The way that computers are used adds to the increasing energy burden.

Many studies reveals that wast majority of personal computers and significant portion of servers, especially these in use for 2 or more years are not being used the majority of the time they are running and are needlessly left powered on continuously. Burning fossil fuels generates most of country's electricity and it also emits pollutants, sulfur, and carbon dioxide into the air. These emissions can cause respiratory disease, smog, acid rain and global climate change. In addition, computers generate heat and require additional cooling which adds to energy costs.

Computer Operating Costs

How Much Energy Does Your Computer System Use?

A typical corporate desktop PC is comprised of the computer itself (aka system block, CPU etc), a monitor, and often a local printer. The system block may require approximately 100-120 watts of electrical power. Add 50-150 watts for a 17-19 inch monitor, proportionately more for larger monitors. The power requirements of conventional personal laser printers can be as much as 100-200 watts or more when printing.

How a user operates the computer also factors into energy costs. First let’s take the worst case scenario, continuous operation. Assuming that each PC consume a 250 watt 24/7, direct annual electrical costs would be over $300 (at $0.164/kWh as of Aug. 2009). In contrast, if you operate your system just during normal business hours, say 40 hours per week, the direct annual energy cost would be about $72 – plus, of course, the cost of providing additional cooling.

Considering the tremendous benefits of computer use, neither of the above cost figures may seem like much, but think of what happens when these costs are multiplied by the many thousands of computers in use in the office. Small 10-user company with just one server will will pay over $3300 annually just for electricity consumed by computers.

Energy Efficient Computing

Thanks to the U.S. Environment Protection Agency (EPA), personal computer systems purchased today can be easy on energy. One of the first manifestations of the green computing movement was the launch of the Energy Star program back in 1992.

The EPA has estimated that providing computers with “sleep mode” reduces their energy use by 60 to 70 percent – and ultimately could save enough electricity each year to power Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, cut electric bills by $2 billion, and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by the equivalent of 5 million cars.

Best practices in Green IT

With advanced technologies and sustainable practices companies worldwide no longer need to choose between profit and the planet. In fact, businesses realize that green comuting can be good for both - the environment and for company's pocket.

Information Technology accounts for approximately 2% of worldwide carbon emissions and focusing on IT alone limits the potential efficiency gains. Green computing software provides the intelligence and insight to not only green IT, but to extend beyond the walls of the datacenter to address the other 98%.

Software helps organizations to achieve energy efficiency across their infrastructure – including data and applications, IT equipment, datacenters, facility and property, and assets.

 

Virtualization

A resilient infrastructure optimized for effectiveness, management and flexibility